As a Senior Consultant with Donor By Design Group, Jim brings more than 25 years of non-profit leadership experience to his clients. Jim’s broad background in finance and non-profit management allows him to offer targeted, strategic advice to non-profits, faith-based organizations, schools and colleges, and more.
Through his deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities inherent in non-profit and for-profit financial management, he can help forge mutually-beneficial partnerships and agreements to help charitable organizations meet their goals.
Jim provides counsel for:
- Discovery and evaluation of funding sources for a capital campaign, including New Market Tax Credit loans, tax exempt bonds, traditional borrowing, grants, and fundraising
- Development of overall project budgets, cash flow, sources and uses for capital projects and organization expansion
- Existing debt analysis and restructuring
- Sustainability and business model analysis for non-profits
- Non-profit CFO coaching and mentoring
- Program/membership margin analysis for organizational sustainability
- Development of multi-year budgets of operations, balance sheet, and cash flow that include expansion/capital budgets
- Strategic financial overview and overhead analysis to determine the ability of an organization to carry debt
- Financial analysis of how a capital campaign is integrated into expansion plans
- Organizational expansion criteria and evaluation, opportunity evaluation
Jim began his professional life in Greenville, SC working for a family business with over $3 billion in annual revenue. He has held senior financial positions with Caterpillar, Haliburton, and several large, privately-held companies. His non-profit career began in 1994 when he became the CFO of the YMCA of Metropolitan Atlanta. In 2006, he was asked to join the executive team at YMCA of the USA as the Chief Financial Officer focusing on restructuring the financial priorities of the national organization.
Serving individuals and volunteering has always been a meaningful part of Jim’s life including extended projects in Haiti, El Salvador, Honduras, Jamaica, and Belize. His volunteering also includes Habitat for Humanity, Boy Scouts, and various national and local organizations. He has traveled the United States, and the world extensively, spending significant amount of time in Israel and Palestine.
Jim joined Donor By Design Group at the end of 2016. He holds volunteer leadership positions with the 501 C Unemployment Trust for not for profit organizations.
Jim and his wife Janie live on a small farm in Dahlonega, Georgia where they raise sheep, chickens, and blueberries.
Phone/Fax (toll-free): 877.323.3904
Phone (direct): 770.656.8761